In today's competitive economic environment it is tempting to question paying for a "system". Why pay for software and hardware when you can just buy some lift boxes, a sled, and a jamar dynamometer and make up your own FCE? There are many good reasons to invest in a "System", especially the Blankenship FCE System.
1. Legal Standards: Years ago, FCE results were accepted based on "Guru" status, now the courts require evidence based testing. Additionally, for an evaluator's testimony to be accepted, that evaluator has to be deemed an "expert" by the courts. Having certification training qualifies you as an expert, lending more weight to your testimony. In todays environment it is common that a patient will undergo two different FCEs which can render two different functional outcomes. The courts then must decide which functional outcome to accept. NO OTHER SYSTEM has the research that the Blankenship FCE System has identifying the functional data as being a true picture of the patient's abilities or not (AMA Guides to the Evaluation of Functional Ability, 2009 and JOSPT "Sensitivity and Specificity of the Blankenship FCE System's Indicators of Submaximal Effort", 2007.)
2. Reproducibility: If you have multiple locations or multiple FCE evaluators, the software provides a consistent and reproducible platform for testing function. Your referral sources can rely on a consistent report and testing platform every time.
3. Ease of training: The software and certification course allows you to make a hardware investment that you know will be utilized for years to come. Therapists come and go, but with standardized certification training and software, you can be confident that your referral sources will never notice evaluator transitions.
4. Mounting Research: The vast majority of "home grown" FCE systems are based on the Kinesiophysical Philosophy. Mounting research demonstrates the underlying construct of the Kinesiophysical approach is flawed, undermining the weight of functional data collected using this method. The Blankenship FCE System is based on Psychophysical Approach with a strong Behavioral Component endorsed by the American Medical Association.
5. Relative Value: Comparing the cost of a Blankenship FCE System package to Ergos or BTE demonstrates extraordinary value.